Wednesday, June 9, 2010

On the signing front-II


More from the signing front as we look at the Asheville Tourists and Kinston Indians.

Asheville is still the SAL affiliate of the Colorado Rockies,who didn't do themselves many favors with local collectors with their decision to wait until late May to promote first round pick Tyler Matzek and second rounder Nolan Arenado.
So since Asheville is the only Rockie affiliate on the east coast,chances of getting those two prospects are dim.
The Tourists were kinda of unremarkable bunch,not a lot of stories to tell or top prospects either as the two most notable were third rounder Kent Matthes,who had just been called to Asheville and Chris Balcolm-Miller,who was the pitcher of the year last season for the short season Pioneer League...

Kinston brought the High A Tribe to Frederick and I needed some players that had skipped Low A,but not a lot.
That will change next season as the K-Tribe will have graduates of the now Midwest League member Lake County Captains.
The big disappointment was that top pick Alex White was moved up to AA Akron on the day of our visit,so White was missed.
However,second rounder Jason Kipnis signed and was very cool in chatting with us as he signed his various cards and Abner Abreu signed a few as well.
Abreu is one of Cleveland's top prospects and missed the last half of last season with an injury.
I did have a Bowman chrome (which seems to be tough to find) of Abreu that I pulled out of the few packs that I have been able to buy.

Thanks to my friend Jason Christensen,who was able to get some stuff for me and included extras that I didn't send.
Jason helps me more than I can ever help him and I wanted to thank him again for his help.
Jason's big fish from this batch included Kyle Drabek,Lars Anderson,who is reported to be signing less and less anymore,Zach Stewart (on a Texas Tech card!),Darin Mastroiani on a Bowman Blue that I pulled a few years back and the best of all was a bonus-Gio Gonzalez on one of his two cards as a Phillie.
I mentioned this a while back,but wanted to thank Jason again...

Next time,we will look at the Myrtle Beach Pelicans and their primo prospect Julio Teheran,the Greenvill Drive and even more help from my friends!.....

No comments: